Australian Embassy
Algeria, Chad, Mauritania, Monaco

Frequently Asked Questions

For any visas or immigration questions please visit or telephone +61 2 6196 0196



Passport FAQs



I have dual nationality, can I travel to Australia on a foreign passport?
An Australian Citizen cannot enter Australia on a foreign Passport. (A visa will not be issued to an Australian citizen on their foreign passport).

I live far from Paris, but I need to renew my passport. Can I lodge my application somewhere else?
No. According to the current policy, passport applications must be lodged in person, whether in Australia or overseas.

I want to apply for a passport for my child. Does my child need to attend the interview?
Applicants under the age of 16 are not required to attend the interview for the lodgement of a passport application.
Applicants over the age of 16 are required to attend the interview for the lodgement of a passport application. For Further information.

My passport was lost/stolen or my passport has expired. What do I do?
We can issue you an emergency passport in two business days.
If you are travelling in the coming days, you will need to visit the embassy to apply for an emergency passport.
If you are not travelling soon, visit a police station to declare the passport as lost or stolen.
Further information on applying for a new passport

What is the difference between an emergency passport and a full-validity passport?
An emergency passport is valid for 7-months and has some restrictions for entry in certain countries.
A full-validity passport is a biometric passport and is valid for 5 or 10 years. For further information.

I need my birth certificate for my passport application, but it is in French. Do I need to have it translated?
You can request a multilingual birth certificate from the French authorities. Otherwise, present to the Embassy the original and a translation by a sworn translator.

Can my passport be sent to me when it is ready?
Yes, however you will need to provide the Embassy with a self-addressed prepaid registered post envelope for the return of your new passport.

I've been affected by the Medibank Private, Optus or Medlab data breach. What should I do?

Medibank impacted customers:

  • Medibank Private has advised the Australian Passport Office (APO) that no Australian Travel Document information was compromised in this breach, however, over 1,000 foreign passports were compromised through this cyberattack. Medibank Private is contacting impacted customers directly.

  • If Medibank Private has advised you that your foreign passport information was compromised, you should contact the government that issued the passport for advice on what to do. This is also the case for all data breaches that impact foreign passport holders.

  • Impacted customers should contact Medibank’s Mental Health Support line on 1800 644 325 (Medibank international students call 1800 887 283 and ahm international students call 1800 006 745), go to ID Care’s dedicated Medibank and AHM breach response plan.
  • See the Australian Cyber Security Centre's  Medibank Private alert.

Optus impacted customers:

Medlab impacted customers:

  • Impacted customers should contact Medlab customer service directly on 1800 433 980, or go to their data breach web page.

Notarial Service FAQs

Certified copies, Apostilles, Witnessing of Signatures (Including Statutory Declarations)

Do I need to make an appointment for Notarial Services?
You can mail-in or drop-off original documents requiring apostille or certification. For services requiring witnessing (e.g. statutory declarations, affidavits) you will need to make an appointment at the Embassy. For further information.

What notarial services can I request at the Embassy?
Please visit the SmartTraveller website for further information in regards to the notarial services provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Do you provide notarial services anywhere else in France?
The Australian Embassy in Paris only provides services in Paris. Certain notarial services are available from public notaries in France.

I am getting married in France. What documents do I need?
You may require the following:
Your birth certificate, (Request from BDM in the state where you were born) with an apostille;
Your single status certificate (request from BDM in the state where you were born), with an apostille;
A Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (more information can be found

What is an apostille?
An apostille is an authentication, which can be affixed to an original document to endorse its validity so it may be accepted in certain countries overseas. You can find further information here.

Can I request a new Australian Birth Certificate from the Embassy?
No. You can request a new Australian Birth Certificate from the Registrar for Births, Deaths, and Marriages (BDM) in the state where you were born.

Can I get a certified copy of my passport/driver’s licence/other from the Embassy?
You can request certified copies and apostilles from the Embassy by mail or by dropping the original documents at the Embassy. Further information here.

I need to have my signature witnessed (i.e.: identity check, transfer of land, others), do I need to come to the Embassy?
Yes. You will need to make an appointment for this notarial service.

The form says I can use a JP or police officer but I can't find one who is willing to do this in France. What can I do? 
Generally the guidance about who can witness or legalise a document is provided with the assumption you are in Australia, where police and JP's are commonly used for these services. This is not the case in France or once you are overseas.

I've been told I need to get this done by the Embassy or Consulate, is there someone else I can use?    
Some organisations - such as your bank or a Government agency - will stipulate that you must use an Australian Embassy or High Commission if you are overseas.  We would recommend you go back to whoever is requesting you get your documents legalised and ask who they will or won't accept.  Some agencies may accept a local solicitor or notary public to perform these services. Please see our list of local notary publics.

I've been asked to get you to verify my ID, what documents do I need to bring into you?                                            
We cannot advise you on what documents you may need to provide. If you have questions about what is required you need to seek clarification from the agency who is requesting that you have this done.

In order to access my bank or superannuation account in Australia while overseas, I need to request certain notarial services, can I do this at the Embassy?
First, please contact your bank or superannuation fund for further information.
Depending on your bank or superannuation fund, you may need a certified copy and/or a witnessing of your signature.

Can I request a new Drivers Licence from the Embassy?
No. You can request a new Driver’s Licence from the roads and traffic authority in the state where you received your Licence.  You may require your signature to be witnessed by a consular officer on the licence application or photo-kit. Please refer to the Embassy’s website for further information.

I need to request an Australian Police Check. How do I do this?
You can request a National Police Check directly from the Australian Federal Police. Visit their website for more information.

I need to access my Australian pension. What do I do?
Centrelink is the agency that provides social security payments and services to Australians. Visit the Centrelink website for more information

Why does this cost money when I can get it for free in Australia?
The charges for the overseas provision of these services is set by the Consular Fees Act 1955. 

Why are consular staff not able to provide guidance and advice on the notarial services I require?
If you choose to use consular staff as your witness or certifier you must ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian Government/Embassy/Consulate, are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy in Paris guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.

Consular FAQs

I require consular assistance. Who should I call?

During office hours, you can contact the Australian Embassy on +33 1 40 59 33 00.

After hours, for emergency 24-hour consular assistance.

+33 1 40 59 33 00 to be redirected to the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra
+61 2 6261 3305 from overseas
1300 555 135 from within Australia
+61 421 269 080 for SMS

What consular assistance can the Embassy provide?
You will find information on the consular assistance available to Australian nationals here.

FAQs on Statutory Declaration